08 April 2007

Down and Out in DC

What a rotten weekend in DC sports.

The Nats lost three games straight to the Dbacks. Ryan Zimmerman has 3 errors in 7 games. And he has a chance to be a golden glove guy. Oh, and Teddy lost in the President's races too -- see my earlier post about his stinkiness!

Then the Caps were shut out in their season ending game to the Barfalo Bananas (the logo looks like a banana and not a sabre). They show this video near the end of the game: "No one comes into our house and direspects us..." Ouch. There were busloads of Buffalo people, booing Ovechkin every chance they can. Not sure what scary good means, but I hope the Islanders knock them out in the first round. We still had fun, I got to go to this "chalk talk" thing before the game that some of the Caps Alumni did. And we tried to shout LETS GO CAPS everytime the Buffalo people would say something.

Without their two all stars, the Wizards lost twice, once in overtime (after a sweet 3 pointer by Antwan Jamison to tie up the game against the Nets) and cannot yet clinch a playoff spot. I am sad Gilbert had to join me on the DL.

Daniel Snyder and the Skins did not buy any big name players. Even DC United lost their season opening MLS game. The cherry blossoms are gone and it actually snowed this weekend too. Almost makes a kid wish you were from some other town...

Until you think about the positives:

Manny Acta is going to be a good skipper. The Nats also have some big bats this year. The two "fat men" Belliard and Young are swinging hard and will drive in a ton of runs. Even in the bottom of the 9th, with two outs on Friday night when I couldn't even feel my toes because I was so cold, we had our rally caps on, and sure enough Church hit a homer. Bang zoom went the fireworks and it was worth staying.

What can I say about the Caps? Maybe they will get a top draft pick. My man Boyd Gordon played himself into a spot for next season. Now the guys in Hershey will hopefully come back with another Calder. Ted is ready to spend some big bucks, and we'd better be in the playoffs next year.

And the Wizards? Well, they have been holding their own without Agent Zero and Butler, but would be nice to just win one and clinch the playoff spot. My mom told me that hope springs eternal, and it is spring now, even if it doesn't feel like it.

So I am happy to be the DC Sports Kid and not some bandwagon fan.

This is Connor R., signing off. This has been MY view of sports.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nothing worse than being a bandwagon fan, so be proud to root for your teams regardless of outcome. That's what real fans are made of.

And my mom always said losing builds character (probably because I'm a loser).

Cheers, and love the blog. Keep up the good work.